Always shine by using all your talents and skills!

Friday, June 22, 2012

Common Core, Understanding of Number, Ten Frames, and Dot Cards!


As I digest the Common Core Math Standards I begin to realize that I need to increase my repertoire of activities and lessons to understand numbers less than ten in terms of their relationship to ten, and to build a sound knowledge of the basic addition and subtraction facts for ten, which are an integral part of mental calculation.  Without a doubt, my 2nd Graders understanding of numbers beyond ten will only become stronger and assist us in double/triple digit subtraction and addition, understanding expanded form, place value, and decomposing and composing numbers.  Ten Frames and Dot Games are two items I will be using more this year (especially with my 1st Graders) to allow my students to soar to even higher heights in their math knowledge and understanding!  Ten Frames and Dot Cards





No comments: